
Our group had been in the Land Rovers all day, driving from Gabarone, the capital of Botswana, into the central Kalahari Desert for a few days of camping. We were dusty, thirsty, and tired, but excited, ready for adventure. We were about three hours away from our destination when we stopped at this dilapidated gas station in rural Botswana for some petrol and a bathroom break, when a rowdy group of boys came by to fill up their soccer ball. They were dancing for us, making silly faces and laughing at our blatant tourist appearances, all the while joyful in this run-down place that seemed to be without hope and relief from the sun. I was stuck by their sweet faces and their ornery spirits, unusually jovial in such a place.
The study abroad experience itself was completely eye-opening. I saw people of every ethnicity, ate interesting foods, saw two oceans at one time and lived my life more full than I ever had before. It was an inspiration that I continually draw from, and I am thankful for the opportunity that the University of Arkansas has given me through my study abroad experience.
Erin Rose Robertson
English major, Spanish/History minor
Green Forest, Arkansas
UA South Africa Tour (photo taken in Botswana) July 2009
No comments:
Post a Comment