Watkins - People - "Breana"



In the summer of 2009, I spent six weeks interning at Scottish Food Quality Certification, a company in Edinburgh, Scotland. I will never forget the rush of emotions I felt as I first stepped off of the plane into Edinburgh. I was excited, scared, nervous, anxious, and tired all at the same time as I made my way to find my flat in a country that was foreign to me. It’s a feeling like no other, and you have to study abroad to experience it.
Sure the people in Scotland speak English, but the accents make it hard to understand so I got lost many times trying to make my way around the city. I found gardens and the sea by getting lost, but I also found that even in a situation like being lost in a foreign country, I can stay calm and take it as a new adventure. While I was in Scotland, I learned more about myself and my abilities than I could have in the United States.
A person can learn a lot about themselves by stepping outside of their comfort zone and traveling/working abroad. Being given the chance to study abroad is a once in a lifetime opportunity that one does not forget easily. The experiences you have stay with you forever, be it good or bad. Most of all, studying abroad can help you grow as a person by strengthening you physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Breanna Watkins, senior, ag business major from Jonesboro.

No comments:

Post a Comment