Traveling on the Semester at Sea program was a truly life changing experience. I took classes abroad a ship while traveling around the world. One of my favorite stops was Chennai, India, the birthplace of my parents. On the ship I was taking a class entitled "The Art and Diaspora of Hinduism." This image, which was taken outside of Chennai, displays so many ideas from the class. Women in bright clothing farming the grains of life. This tedious and simple process occurs all across India and its process has changed very little over hundreds of years. I returned to my motherland with a different state of mind. I wasn't there for tourism or to visit my family, I was there as a student. A student trying to learn the roots and attributes of my ancestors that were endowed to me. This image captures the basic roots of my family. Hardworking individuals, that find happiness in following their dharma (duty).
Vamsj Kaliki- Biology, Hot Springs, AR Semester at Sea Spring 2008, Chennai, India, 2010.
No comments:
Post a Comment